FAQ Education & Careers

I am looking for a job in the Netherlands. Can you help me find one?

For help in these matters, please refer to UWV WERKbedrijf (previously CWI, the Centre for Work and Income). This public employment service plays a key role in the Dutch labour market. Its staff members assist people in finding a job, give advice and information, and provide other help. Through an extensive network of partner sites and (temporary) employment agencies, most vacancies registered with these partners are also registered in their online job database. For more information, please visit: https://www.werk.nl.


I would like to know whether I could come and work in the Netherlands.

You do not need a work permit to work in the Netherlands if you have the Dutch nationality or are a national of any country in the European Economic Area (EEA). With the exception of Croatia, the EEA includes all European Union countries plus Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein.


I am already residing in the Netherlands. How do I know if I am allowed to work?

People from Croatia, and all other countries may only work in the Netherlands if:

- they have a residence document that includes the text ‘Arbeid is vrij toegestaan' (work is freely permitted);

- they have a passport with a residence endorsement sticker bearing the text ‘Arbeid is vrij toegestaan';

- an employer has a valid work permit for the foreign nationals in question. The foreign national must have a valid residence permit.

Is my partner/child allowed to work in the Netherlands?

The rule for family members of a highly skilled migrant or knowledge migrant is that they do not need a work permit to work in the Netherlands. The same rule applies for family members of researchers under the EU regulation for admission of researchers. However, family members of labour migrants who need a work permit also need a work permit.

If you have a specific question, please submit it here: