FAQ Finance & Insurances

I have been living in Holland for a while now. Am I entitled to unemployment benefit?

If you have been working and have been dismissed through no fault of your own and you have no other work, you may be eligible for unemployment benefit. One of the conditions is that you must have been employed for at least 26 weeks in the 36 weeks before the first day of unemployment. The amount and duration of your benefit depends on your employment history. The benefit is always temporary. It is important that you register with UWV WERKbedrijf immediately after having become unemployed. UWV WERKbedrijf staff can inform you of your exact rights and obligations. Also important is that you have an ongoing valid residence permit. If you depend on unemployment benefits only and you need to extend your resident permit, this might be refused.


I am now living in the Netherlands and have just given birth to a baby. Can I get Child benefits?

Yes. If you are living in the Netherlands,  the child benefit is one of the benefits you are entitled to. You might also be entitled to other benefits


I am now living and wording in the Netherlands and my employer says I am obliged to take out a Zorgverzekering (health insurance). But I am already insured in my home country. Do I really need to do this?

Yes! If you are living in the Netherlands and are subjected to Dutch social security law, you are obliged to take out a health insurance. If you do not, you run the risk of getting a penalty. There are only a few exemptions to this rule, which only apply to posted workers and cross border workers in the EEA who actually reside abroad and work in their home country as well.

If you have a specific question, please submit it here: