Select your region:


Contact our welcome Desk



Expat Procedures
Participating Municipalities
Expat Centers
I want to stay less than 3 months
I want to stay more than 3
months (MVV)
Residence Permits
Work Permit
Registering at the Municipality
Legalisation of Documents
Citizen Service Number (BSN)
DigiD - The Digital Signature
Tuberculosis Test
Civic Integration
Partners and Family
More Info
Finance & Insurance
Education & Careers
Personal & Social Needs
Culture & Leisure

I want to stay more than 3 months (MVV)

The nationals of all countries except the EU member states and a few other countries who want to visit/stay in The Netherlands for an uninterrupted period longer than 3 months need an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

See the list of countries whose nationals do not need an MVV for a stay of longer than 3 months.

An MVV is a special visa, on which you can travel to The Netherlands and subsequently apply for a residence permit (which is required for all non-EU citizens who wish to stay for more than 3 months). If your nationality requires an MVV, it is impossible to apply for a residence permit without it! An MVV can only be applied for from your country of origin or the country where you legally reside at that moment. If you enter the Netherlands with a Schengen visa (or short stay visa) for a period shorter than 3 months, it is not possible to change this visa into an MVV.

If you do not need an MVV and wish to stay in The Netherlands for longer than 3 months, and you are not an EU citizen, you must still apply for a residence permit. For more detailed information about the MVV procedure plus the entry conditions for all nationalities for stays both longer and shorter than 3 months, see the Residence Wizard on the website of the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

The kind of residence permit you will need depends on your purpose of stay; for each purpose different conditions can apply. The same goes for the MVV. So please select the right reason of your stay when checking the residence wizard.


The MVV allows you to multiple enter the Netherlands and move within the Schengen area. You can enter the Schengen area within 180 days from the date of issue. After entering the Schengen area it allows you to stay a maximum of 3 months in the Schengen area.


I have a Dutch employer / I am a student
If you have an employer or want to study in The Netherlands, the employer or the educational institution will play an important role in the application procedure. It is even possible (sometimes necessary) that they apply for the MVV on your behalf and make use of the so-called ‘accelerated application’. The normal procedure for obtaining an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV) usually takes between 3 and 6 months. If your educational institute or employer brings in employees, trainees or students from abroad on a regular basis, he may be eligible for the accelerated MVV procedure. This procedure takes just a few weeks.

Voluntary MVV
Foreign workers from a nationality that does not require an MVV to enter The Netherlands can voluntary ask for an MVV as well. The reason to do this lies in a big advantage in the residence permit application. When you apply for an MVV, your case is reviewed before your arrival and when applying for the actual residence permit you will receive a sticker in your passport that serves as a residence permit. This will allow you to work immediately after your residence permit application. Furthermore, the Citizen Service Number (BSN) can be issued much faster.

Next page|Previous page

Print this page  Print this page