Where can I apply for a BSN?

If you are a non-resident, please contact one of the following city halls to make an appointment: Alkmaar, Almelo, Amsterdam, Breda, Den Haag, Doetinchem, Eindhoven, Groningen, Goes, Heerlen, Leeuwarden, Leiden, Nijmegen, Rotterdam, Terneuzen, Utrecht, Venlo or Zwolle. The municipality where you have the appointmet will issue the BSN.


My birth/marriage certificate is in Chinese, but it is legalised with stamps by the proper authorities. Do I need to get it translated?

The Dutch government will only accept documents in Dutch, English, German or French. You may also need to collect some extra stamps or signatures to legalize your documents. You can read more on legalising documents on the

Ministry of Foreign Affairs website. The municipality where you live can also advise you on this. 


I am looking for a job in the Netherlands. Can you help me find one?

For help in these matters, please refer to UWV WERKbedrijf, UWV (Employee Insurance Scheme Implementing Body). This public employment service plays a key role in the Dutch labour market. Its staff members assist people in finding a job, give advice and information, and provide other help.

Does the 30% Tax Facility affect my tax refund on deductions regarding the purchase of a Dutch principle residence?

The only way it affects the tax deduction is that because of the application of the 30% tax facility, you might go into a lower tax rate. The tax percentage you pay will be lower, but the tax refund is also based on this lower rate.


Does the 30% Tax Facility have an effect on my social security situation?

Often the 30% tax facility is applied in such a way that you pay less tax and fewer social security premiums. This may lead to lower benefits if at one point you need to depend on them. With regard to your pension, there are ways to prevent this, under certain conditions. Please contact your HR officer for further details.

How much tax do I pay in the Netherlands?

The Netherlands has a progressive tax rate between 33-52%. Furthermore, there is taxation on substantial interest, savings and investments. Do not forget that there are also many tax credits and benefits for certain groups of people, including: (single) parents, house owners, workers, non-working spouses, etc. When you have the 30% tax facility, you will pay significantly less tax because part of your remuneration will be paid as a tax-free expense allowance.

If you have a specific question, please submit it here:



FAQ Formalities

FAQ Formalities

FAQ Finance & Insurance

FAQ Finance & Insurance

FAQ Taxation

FAQ Taxation


Close x

Need assistance?

Please feel free to send us your question or stop by the Expat Center!

We are happy to assist you!