Moving to the Netherlands

Are you moving to the Netherlands? In that case, you are generally entitled to take your removal goods along without paying taxes on these goods. However, some conditions apply. There is a difference between moving to the Netherlands from an EU country or from a non-EU country. For more details please check the website of the Douane (Dutch Customs). When you move you might also arrange several matters regarding the export of your removal goods in your country of departure. Ask the authorities in the country you are leaving or your removal company for details well ahead of your moving date.


Removal goods

Removal goods or personal goods are goods destined for personal use by you or your family. These goods mainly include movable goods and items, means of transport for private use, household stocks for normal household use, small pets and mounts, portable instruments for the practice of one's profession, etc.


Goods which are meant for professional use in your work as a manufacturer, trader or service provider are not considered to be removal goods or personal goods.


Do you wish to import your removal goods tax-free into the Netherlands? Then you might need an ‘Exemption permit for removal goods'. You can apply for this permit by means of the form, Application for an Exemption Permit for Removal Goods on the Dutch Customs' website.


You can apply for the permit at the regional customs office of your future residence or at the regional customs office where you declare your removal goods. You will find the relevant addresses at the contact section of the Dutch Customs' website.


Apply for your Exemption permit for removal goods well ahead of your moving date! Settlement of your application may take some time.


Cars and Motorcycles

In general, you do not have to pay import taxes on your car or motorcycle when you move to the Netherlands. However, some conditions apply.


You must apply for a permit with the Dutch Customs to import your car with a foreign registration number tax-free into the Netherlands. For this, you use the form: application form for a Licence granting exemption from BPM (Belasting van Personenauto's en Motorrijwielen / Private motor vehicle and motorcycle tax) upon moving.


Important: This also needs to be done by citizens of other EU countries!


The general conditions for importing removal goods and your car or motorcycle are:


  • You move your regular place of residency from abroad to the Netherlands 
  • You have lived outside the Netherlands during at least 12 months. The goods or motor vehicle are/is part of your household,
  • You have used or possessed the goods or motor vehicle for at least 6 months.
  • You have used the goods and are intended to use the goods for your household again.
  • You will move the goods within 12 months after your move to the Netherlands.
  • You will not lend, pawn, let, lease, or change ownership of the goods.
  • The period you have to observe is twelve months after the date when the goods were released into free circulation.


For more information, we strongly advise you to check the website of the Dutch Customs, in particular the sections on removal goods and Private motor vehicle and motorcycle tax (bpm).





Sluiten x

Hulp nodig?

Aarzel niet om een vraag te stellen of kom langs bij het Expat Center!

We zijn hier om je te helpen!