Everyone residing in the Netherlands has a BSN (Citizen Service Number). A BSN is issued to you when you are born and registered at the municipal register. When you start living in the Netherlands later, a BSN will be issued to you when your registration at the municipality is completed. For non-EU citizens this also depends on an action by the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). After you have visited the municipality, you will go to the IND to hand in your application for a residence permit. If the IND accepts the application, it will notify the municipality and your BSN will be sent to your home address. This will take about 10 days.

When you need a BSN

A BSN is required when you take out insurance, open a bank account, receive your salary or apply for benefits.

Registration of non-residents (RNI)

If you are staying in the Netherlands for less than 4 months in any six-month period, you can register with one of the 19 municipalities in the Netherlands (including Eindhoven) as a non-resident under a special registration provision for the Registratie Niet-Ingezetenen, RNI (Registration of Non-Residents).

Conditions to obtain a BSN as a non-resident:

  • You must present a valid passport. Only if you are a national of an EU member state, you may present a different identification document. Driver's licenses are not accepted as identity cards.
  • If you are not a national of an EU member state, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland, or Switzerland, then the following applies to you:
       - You must have a note/sticker in your passport or a residence permit that allows you to stay and work in the Netherlands. You can apply for this note/sticker at the Immigration and Naturalisation Service Desks (IND).

Immigration and Naturalisation Service Desk (IND)


Den Bosch 'De Magistraat'
​Magistratenlaan 222
5223 MA Den Bosch


Opening Hours
Monday-Friday: 09:00-17:00 





Next page

Close x

Need assistance?

Please feel free to send us your question or stop by the Expat Center!

We are happy to assist you!