Registering at the Municipality

To register for residence in the South Netherlands, you must make an appointment with the population register of the municipality where you will live. This appointment should be made within five days after your arrival in the Netherlands.

This office is responsible for registration in the population register. After a visit to this office, where you will get provisional proof of registration, you will have to visit the IND to apply for a residence permit. If you have a partner and/or children, they will also need to be registered. When the IND has received your request for a residence permit, they will notify the municipality and complete your registration. At that moment, also a Burger Service Nummer (BSN) will be issued to you. The complete procedure will take a few weeks.


You must take the following documents to your appointment:

  • EU citizens must have a valid passport or identity card.
  • Non-EU citizens must have a valid verblijfsvergunning (residence permit) or be in the process of applying for one.
  • Applicants must reside in the municipality for at least four continuous months in the six-month period following registration.
  • Applicants need proof of unregistering from the register of previous habitation (mainly applicable to EU citizens).
  • Applicants need a tenancy agreement, or signed statement and a photo copy of the passport of the main occupant, stating that they are allowed to register at that address, or a document that proves that they are the owner of a house, a deed of ownership or a deed of transfer.
  • Applicants need a legalised copy of their birth certificate.*
    Applicants need a legalised copy of their marriage certificate.*

* Important: If the document is written in a language other than English, German or French, a translation must be provided by a sworn translator.



Previous pageNext page

Close x

Need assistance?

Please feel free to send us your question or stop by the Expat Center!

We are happy to assist you!