Residence Permits

Within Dutch immigration law, you can get a residence permit on many grounds, and each purpose of stay has its own conditions. Here you will find the most applicable residence permits for workers. Note that this information is only of importance if you are a non-EU resident or if you are from outside the European Economic Area. For citizens from EU countries and the European Economic Area other rules apply. They are mainly free to move and work in the European Economic Area (citizens from Croatia still require a work permit).

Please note that most residence permits for workers are based on the fact that you have already found a job and your employer is part of the procedure to get you the work permit and/or residence permit. 

Also, residence permits are only applicable if your stay is longer than 3 months. When you do not plan to reside in the Netherlands for more than 3 months or plan to work as a cross border worker (living outside the Netherlands and working in the Netherlands) other rules apply. Please check the Residence Wizard on the IND website for more information about a stay shorter than 3 months.

The most important residence purposes for expats are the following:

Where to apply for a residence permit

A residence permit is applied for at the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) within 3 working days after your arrival in the Netherlands. The IND will place a sticker in your passport confirming your residence status, and a note that you are/are not allowed to work and that you do/do not require a work permit to work. After 2 to 3 weeks, you will receive the formal decision from the IND regarding your residence status. In this respect, applying for a voluntary authorisation for temporary stay (MVV) can be advantageous, even for those who do not need them. Through this procedure, your request for a residence permit is already reviewed before you arrive in the Netherlands, and the sticker from the IND will state that you are allowed to work in the Netherlands right after you have submitted your request. You do not need to wait for the formal decision of the IND, which is expected only after 3 weeks after submitting.

IND desks

The IND has 8 desks in the Netherlands, and two in the South Netherlands: in Eindhoven and Den Bosch. At these desks, you can do the following:

  • Submit your application for a residence permit or collect a residence sticker
  • Submit a request and collect a return visa. Collect your residence document
  • Obtain information about residence in the Netherlands (work, study, or family reunification purposes, for example).

Schedule an appointment by calling:

  • 088 0430 430 - Monday-Friday, 09:00-17:00
    Local call charges plus any charges for calling form your mobile phone.
  • From abroad, dial +31 88 0430 430.  

Download the forms needed for different procedures from the IND website 

Other residence purposes

Besides the above-mentioned residence purposes, there are many others reasons for moving to the Netherlands. For each purpose, different conditions can apply. To know more about the residence purposes, please check the website of the IND.  


Replacing a Lost or Stolen Residence Permit

  1. File a report with the police.
  2. Complete the 'Vervanging, vernieuwing of eerste aanvraag vreemdelingendocument' IND form. (Available on or at Holland Expat Center South.)
  3. Mail the following items to the IND:
  • Police report
  • Copy of your passport
  • Copy of your residence permit (if available)
  • The IND form

Mail to the following mailing address:

Immigratie-en Naturalisatiedienst

Postbus 245

7600 AE Almelo

Costs: Replacement Residence Permit: € 132 (Depends on the type of residence permit.)

For more information, visit or contact Holland Expat Center South.





Previous pageNext page

Close x

Need assistance?

Please feel free to send us your question or stop by the Expat Center!

We are happy to assist you!