Scientific researcher

A scientific researcher that comes to the Netherlands on a hosting agreement from abroad for longer than 3 months, might qualify for the admission regulation scientific researchers in the sense of Directive 2005/71/EC. In the sense of this Directive, a scientific researcher is an employee who will perform a research project approved by a Dutch research institute or organisation in the Netherlands. Not only universities, but also enterprises who do research can benefit from this regulation.


  • The research must be conducted at a research institution in the Netherlands that is a recognized sponsor by the IND.
  • A scientific researcher is someone who has obtained a certificate of higher education, which must give the holder access to a Master's program.
  • The research project has been approved by the institution. The institution has assessed the purpose, duration of the research and the funds required for conducting this research.





Previous pageNext page

Close x

Need assistance?

Please feel free to send us your question or stop by the Expat Center!

We are happy to assist you!