The South Netherlands provides a very attractive high-quality living and studying environment. Some of the Netherlands top educational institutes are situated in the major cities of the Southeast Netherlands, all of them offering a wide range of international programmes.

The requirements for the incoming international students are not particularly demanding or complicated. The university and/or higher educational institution takes care of the application for the residence permit or necessary visa. Of course, there are requirements, but if you meet them, the application and admission procedure can be swift.

Any person who wishes to study in the Netherlands for longer than 3 months must meet the following conditions:

  • He/she must have a valid passport.
  • He/she must have a health insurance that provides cover for the Netherlands.
  • He/she must sign a declaration of awareness (With this declaration the foreign national indicates that he/she is aware what conditions he/she must meet, but also that he/she is aware that he/she will have to leave the Netherlands again at some time in the future).
  • He/she must not constitute a risk to public order or national security.
  • He/she must be prepared to undergo an examination for tuberculosis.
  • He/she must have sufficient funds (see the website of the IND).
  • He/she must have a (provisional) proof of registration at an educational institution.         

Additional conditions for the university/educational institution:

  • It must be a full-time day course (not a correspondence course or evening classes).
  • It must be an educational institution that is funded or designated by the Ministry of Education.
  • It must be an educational institution that has signed a contract with the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).
  • Most official foreign documents must be legalised as well as translated by a certified translator. See Legalisation of Documents for more information.


Preparatory year

For some courses, the educational institution will place certain conditions on your knowledge before admitting you to the course, such as knowledge of the Dutch language. Prior to your higher education-level studies, you are allowed to stay in the Netherlands in order to prepare for your entrance examination. It is not possible to reside in the Netherlands for this purpose for longer than 1 year nor is it possible to have another preparatory year for a different course of study. You must produce a declaration from the educational institution confirming that you will be admitted to the course if you pass the entrance examination.

Authorisation for temporary stay (MVV)

If an MVV is required for your stay, the educational institution must apply for one at the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). After a positive advice, the student can collect his/her MVV at a Dutch Embassy or consulate in his country of origin and use it to travel to the Netherlands.

Most educational institutions have made agreements with the authorities on the process of admission and immigration. Please check the website of the following institutions for more details.

•    Tilburg University
•    Eindhoven University of Technology TU/e
•    Maastricht University
•    Fontys
•    Avans

•    Zuyd University (Hogeschool Zuyd)

You can also find information on the website of Nuffic (the Netherlands organization for international cooperation in higher education).





Previous page

Close x

Need assistance?

Please feel free to send us your question or stop by the Expat Center!

We are happy to assist you!