Taxation, Finance & Insurance

Tax Benefits - Toeslagen

The Dutch tax system has been going through quite a big reform lately. To compensate income loss for specific groups of people, the tax administration has introduced several Toeslagen (benefits). These benefits can be applied for on the website of the Tax Administration.


General tax credit

All employees are entitled to the algemene heffingskorting (general tax credit). This is a credit on your taxation through your employer. For non-working partners it is also possible to receive this tax credit, which can amount to €2199 a year. The main condition is that you are living for a minimum of six months with a partner who is subject to Dutch taxes, and has paid taxes on at least €20.000. The general tax credit is applied through the provisional tax return form, which is available on the Tax Administration website.


Huurtoeslag (Rent Benefit) - Are you planning to rent a home in the Netherlands? And do you spend a large portion of your income on rent? Then you may be eligible for a subsidy for the rental costs. Whether you are eligible for the rent benefit depends on, among other things, your age, and living situation. Apply for the rent benefit on the Tax Administration website.  


Kinderopvangtoeslag (Childcare Benefit) - Will your children be going to day care after you move to the Netherlands? Then you are most likely eligible for a childcare benefit. This is a subsidy to help cover the costs of childcare. In order to receive a childcare benefit, both you and your benefit partner must be employed or studying.

You can also receive the benefit if you are not employed, but your chances of finding work are increased if you follow, for example, a re-integration program via Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen, UWV (Employee Insurance Implementing Body) or the municipality. Furthermore, your child must go to a registered childcare organisation. Apply for a childcare benefit on the Tax Administration website.


Zorgtoeslag (Health Care Benefit) - Do you have a Dutch health care insurance? Then you may be eligible for a health care benefit. You must be over 18, have the Dutch nationality or a residence permit in the Netherlands, and your income may not be too high. If you do not reside in the Netherlands but work abroad, and you do not have a Dutch health care insurance, you are not eligible for a health care benefit. Would you like to apply for a health care benefit? You can do this at the Tax Administration website. On the EURAXESS website you can find a guide in English on how to apply.


Kindertoeslag (Child Benefit) - Will you be residing in the Netherlands and do you have children under the age of 18?  Depending on your income, you may be eligible for a child benefit from the Dutch Tax Administration. Applying for it is usually not necessary; you will usually receive information if you qualify for a child benefit. However, the Tax Administration does not have sufficient data regarding some groups of society, and is therefore not always able to determine automatically who qualifies for a child benefit. If you have not received information regarding a child benefit, but you think that you are eligible, you can apply for a child benefit yourself on the Tax Administration website.

Information on all of the above-mentioned benefits can be found on the Tax Administration's website.





Previous pageNext page

Close x

Need assistance?

Please feel free to send us your question or stop by the Expat Center!

We are happy to assist you!